Greater Hobart City Deal
Tasmania has turned the corner towards economic recovery seeing a record level of job creation as well as a huge level of investment in our state and Hobart is no exception.
Thanks to the strong leadership and close partnership between the Federal Liberal Government and the State Liberal Government, a historic agreement has been struck to make a City Deal for the Hobart area a reality. This landmark agreement will mean more jobs, greater investment and more affordable housing opportunities.
This is just the fourth agreement of its kind anywhere in Australia which again underlines the importance of Tasmania to the Federal Liberal Government.
The City Deal will provide the focus needed to ensure that the Commonwealth, State and local governments are all working together to ensure the Greater Hobart area benefits from the city’s transition. The City Deal will:
- Explore options to support affordable housing in the Greater Hobart region;
- Examine options to facilitate an Antarctic Precinct at Macquarie Point to harness the unique opportunities presented by the site;
- Examine options to facilitate the development of the University of Tasmania’s STEM presence in the city, to support both regional and international education, and innovation growth;
- Create a Greater Hobart Transport Vision to guide a coordinated approach to transport planning including assessing the feasibility of future public transport options such as busways, light rail or ferries. This will also include considering ways to support the future use of the northern suburbs rail corridor through improved amenity and greater residential options; and
- Establish a Greater Hobart Act, to provide a strategic framework for local councils in the region and the State Government to work together to implement the objectives of the Hobart City Deal and complementary strategic land use planning outcomes.
In addition to these key focus areas, other projects that are consistent with the vision and objectives may also be agreed during the development of the Hobart City Deal.
This is a game-changing development for Hobart that will see the Federal and State Liberal Governments work in close partnership to capitalise on the economic resurgence of Tasmania that has occurred due to the implementation of the Liberal Government’s positive agenda.
More information is available here.