MYEFO confirms Federal Liberals backing Tasmania
The release of the Mid Year Economic and Fiscal Outlook by the Federal Liberal National Government today reaffirms the Government’s strong economic management and the record investment in Tasmania.
As a direct result of the Government taking the tough decisions, MYEFO today confirms:
- The Federal Budget will return to surplus next year, allowing the Government to pay down debt;
- Record tax cuts for workers and families to better help them to make ends meet;
- $432 million in health and hospital spending in Tasmania, this year alone a 47% increase on Labor’s last year in office;
- Funding to upgrade the Bridgewater Bridge;
- $452 million for Tasmanian schools, this year alone, a 72% increase on Labor’s last year in office;
- $2.5 billion in GST funding in 2018-19;
- $70 million in road upgrades across Tasmania, including upgrading the Bass Highway between Marrawah and Wynyard; and
- $3.9 million for the North-West Tasmania Job Ready Generation Package.
“Today’s Economic update shows the best budget bottom line since John Howard was the Prime Minister and is a direct result of the Liberal Government’s strong economic plan that has resulted in record jobs growth, lower taxes for families and a record level of investment in Tasmania,” Senator Abetz said.
“Because we’ve done the hard yards, we are now better able to invest in Tasmanian hospitals and schools as well as deliver much-needed infrastructure across the state, from upgrading the Bridgewater Bridge to upgrading the Bass Highway,” Senator Bushby said.
“MYEFO confirms that the Government is delivering all of the commitments it made to Tasmanians during the Braddon Byelection, with $3.9 million for the North-West Tasmania Job Ready Generation Package and improvements to mobile reception in the North-West both specifically funded today,” Senator Colbeck said.
“This positive result for Tasmanians is only possible because of the strong economic management from the Liberal Government. Only the Liberals can deliver lower taxes, more jobs and better services whereas Labor pose an unmitigated risk with a plan for higher taxes which puts us all at risk,” Senator Duniam concluded.