Shorten folds to unions
Workplace Relations Minister Bill Shorten has reopened the door on the introduction of compulsory arbitration in a communiqué buried on his Department’s website.
The Communiqué from Wednesday’s Ministerial Council meeting states: “Minister Shorten offered to further consult Members on any proposed amendments to improve greenfields agreement making and resolving intractable bargaining…”
“Julia Gillard clearly promised that there would be no compulsory arbitration under the Fair Work Act, but Bill Shorten has reopened the door after union bosses in Victoria threatened not to support Labor during the election campaign,” Senator Abetz said today.
“Rather than standing up for the national interest, Bill Shorten has succumbed to sectional interests and threats of blackmail by the unions.”
“It’s time for Bill Shorten to stand up to the union bosses and say “no” – just once,” Senator Abetz said.
“Instead of caving into threats of blackmail Labor should be focused on supporting individual workers and their employers as well as creating jobs.”
“So far the only jobs Bill Shorten and Julia Gillard have been busy creating are those for Labor’s mates as we saw last week with the appointment of former ACTU President Jeff Lawrence to the Fair Work Commission,” Senator Abetz said.
“Only the Coalition can deliver real solutions for Australian workers and their employers and stand up to the sectional interests,” Senator Abetz said.